Haiti Recap Part II

I finished Part I at the end of our visit at the Port Salude orphanage. On our way back from Port Salude we took a trip into the hills to Ananicent (a bit north of Torbeck). This orphanage had been devastated by recent flooding, so they were working on building a second floor on top of the current building – to increase the orphanages capacity and also serve as a safe place during times of higher water levels.

Orphanage Construction

Orphanage Construction

We followed by visiting the orphans, who were staying at the school a couple of minutes away while their building was being completed where were treated to the orphans signing “Somebody prayed for me.” As we began treating these orphans, we noticed a viral infection that had seemed to sweep through all the orphans, many had ear aches, and many were malnourished. We found out that many of these orphans were new to orphanage and had just recently been taken off of the streets. We treated what we could and left a lot of hand sanitizer to try to prevent even more extensive spreading of the viral problem.

Our last day consisted of visiting two more orphanages the first of which was northwest of Les Cayes in an area called Dibilejee. After crossing a river in our van, we arrived at the well established orphanage, school, and church complex. Throughout the trip it was easy to see the areas that El Shaddai had been present at for longer periods, the orphans were visibly more healthy, happier, and energetic. This orphanage didn’t seem to be plagued by many of the very contagious problems of the others, few ringworm and scabies. Carla sang “hokie pokie,” with the children and we blew up exam gloves as balloons for the kids.

Carla teaching "Hookie Pookie"

We then traveled through some very windy mountain roads to Big House. It has been difficult for El Shaddai to build ministry services in this area. There was a church and orphanage but still a very strong voodoo presence with a local houngan (witch doctor). The road to Big House was a challenge, steep at parts, always narrow, and winding around many obstacles and livestock. The children here were in pretty rough shape; most were very quiet and seemed downcast. While we were attending to the children a rain storm came out of nowhere, drenching the area. This made our trip home very interesting, forcing us to get out of the van and walk across some deep ditches so that the van could cross without slipping and falling in.

This wrapped up our November of 2008 Trip, my appologies for taking a year to get any real content up. We’ll be going back this coming March, this time to visit four orphanages in Gonaives. Let me know if you would like any more information about this trip or how you can help.

~ by veniatregnum on November 26, 2009.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: